Woodbridge Estates - Detroit, MI
Provided ServicesDevelopment Partnerships and Program Management
RHG partnered with local Michigan firms, led by the Slavik Company, to form Scripps Park Associates (SPA). This team of partners and consultants was selected by the Detroit Housing Commission (DHC) to redevelop its 47-acre Jeffries West Homes project, now renamed Woodbridge Estates.
- Written the response to the DHC (Detroit Housing Commission) Developer RFQ
- Helped guide the project through the entire approval process
- Worked to completely revise the outdated HOPE VI Revitalization Plan and prepared a new marketing study
- Led members of a team that successfully negotiated the Master Developer Agreement, Regulatory and Operating Agreement, all mixed-finance documents, and land contracts with the DHC and the City of Detroit and ensured compliance with all HUD requirements
- Helped obtain unanimous approval from the DHC, the City Council and HUD
Funding for this project includes $25.4 million in HOPE VI funds and consists of a mixed-income, mixed-use, mixed-ownership development employing mixed-finance techniques predicated on market forces. It is the most economically integrated HOPE VI project, with rental housing ranging from public housing to fair market, and home ownership ranging from affordable to fair market condos and single family dwellings.
The project resulted in $50 million development of housing, as well as community and retail facilities.
The first five phases of the project are closed, with tax credits awarded for each rental component. Most of the new units are now occupied, consisting of:
- 281 rental units, ranging from ACC, LIHTC to market rate
- 101 on-site home ownership units, of which 37 are affordable
It also includes an 100 unit assisted senior living facility and 297 renovated public housing senior units in three towers. SPA property management, our joint venture partner, managed the property through complete renovation and re-occupancy.
In addition, this partnership entered into an Amended MDA in late 2007 with DHC, covering the demolition and revitalization of the adjacent very depressed Jeffries East site. This site was redeveloped to contain 180 mixed-finance units and is now called Cornerstone Estates.
Architect: Abraham Kadushin Associates Architects and Planners of Ann Arbor, MI
- Woodbridge Estates website Go to website »
Related ExperienceCornerstone (Jeffries East)